Tom's parents met in the London Symphony Chorus, and Tom's Grandma conducted a male-voice choir that his Grandad was in. Unsurprisingly, choral music played a significant part of Tom's upbringing, the highlight of which was being a member of the National Youth Choirs of Great Britain for 11 years, between 2003-2013. He also began composing from a young age, winning the Sibelius Student Composer of the Year award in 2008 for his piece Enclos'd in Cinders, a choral setting of part of Shakespeare's poem The Phoenix and the Turtle.
Tom studied Music at Magdalen College, Oxford, and it was while a member of Oxford Uni's CU - the OICCU - that he was challenged and encouraged by UCCF to begin thinking Christianly about music, rather than keeping his faith and music separate. He explored this further in Cambridge as a UCCF Relay Worker and then in London as a CU Staff Worker for the four music colleges, and he now co-ordinates the UCCF Music Network from his narrowboat in Gloucestershire. He continues to compose, and has just begun a choir in the lovely city of Gloucester.
Music Network Resources
- Why I've desired choral music more than ever lately
- Art & Music - A Student's Guide
- Voicing Creation's Praise
- Music Network introduction
- Dripping with God - the inescapable subject of choral music
- A Biblical Basis for Music and the Performing Arts
- Set on becoming an orchestral musician?
- The tongue: the music student's most powerful instrument of all (Part 1)
- The tongue: the music student's most powerful instrument of all (Part 2)
- How to respond to musical ineptitude
- Being in the music world but not of the music world
- Dangling a carrot at Christmas
- Using musical analogies to explain the gospel
- The Music of Heaven
- Music - worshipped and adored?
- Taking Christ out of Christmas: an exercise in humanism
- Musicking in Corona-Time: Reflections from CS Lewis
- The yonder of its vision
- Money, mediocrity, and the myth of 'making it'
- Recital season: pressure
- Spotlight: Rachel Olney
- Spotlight: Jo Bonner
- Spotlight: Jessica Miskelly
- Spotlight: Jonathan Girling
- Spotlight: Bethany Brooks
- Spotlight: Constance Fee
- Spotlight: Kevin & Sarah Pfister
- Spotlight: Emilie Godden
- Spotlight: Mark Hutchinson
- Spotlight: Yue Tang
- How to make the most of Forum
- What is the Music Network's theology of music in a nutshell?
- Journeying with the Music Network: an interview
- Music and the Glory of God - Word Alive 2018